POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request for next release : Re: Feature request for next release Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:23:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request for next release
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 20 Feb 2000 17:33:13
Message: <38B06D06.E6BE147C@geocities.com>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
> : I thibk GIF is no big deal, but it is lossless.
>
>   It depends on how you define "lossless".
>   GIF is lossless for a 256-color image. However, if you try to save a
> truecolor image in GIF format, it will be lossy (it has to convert the
> image to 256 colors).
>
> : JPEG is lossy, and might not
> : be reconstituted in the same manner all the time.
>
>   Does it matter? If one pixel is one value (out of 256) more reddish with
> povray than with another program, is it a big deal? I think no-one will
> notice the difference.

Well, it might matter. Especially if some value goes on different sides of
some cut-off threashold. Also, if the interpretation varies from one version
to the next, or one platform to the next... BOOM!

Imagine tracking down subtle bump-map  bugs or normal-map bugs.

On the other hand, with a GIF image, once it has been created, there is no
ambiguity on it's interpretation, nor on the RGB values that any given pixel
within the image will contain. The same goes for PNG images.

Now, it might be possible to not really cause any problems at all. Then
again, it might. I just have a general aversion to using lossy formats for
any sort of source image. This probably comes from working in the multimedia
field for a few years.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.