POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : traingle vs. smooth triangle : Re: traingle vs. smooth triangle Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:12:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: traingle vs. smooth triangle
From: Josh English
Date: 15 Feb 2000 10:38:37
Message: <38A97329.736CD514@spiritone.com>
The normal is an imaginary vector at each vertices of the triangle that
declares which way is "up" to that point. By adjusting the "up" vectors at
each point in a mesh of smooth triangles you can create the illusion that the
bump surface of the triangles are joined into one smooth surface, you don't
actually change the surface of the triangle, just it's appearance.
This is similar to a normal statement in a regular POV-Ray texture. It adjusts
the way light interacts with the surface by faking the smoothness of the
circle.
There is a good explanation of it in the ANSI C source code at
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/PovUtils/smooth.html
on Warps page. It is very well done and I used this method in my bezier.inc
file.

--
Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom