POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Triangles : Re: Triangles Server Time
29 Jun 2024 01:37:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Triangles
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 15 Feb 2000 01:39:09
Message: <38A8F5CD.766C8953@geocities.com>
John VanSickle wrote:

> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> >
> > pssst... over here...
> >
> > http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/index.html
>
> I was giving serious thought to using Java.  I downloaded the
> developer's kit.  Then something about it aggravated me so much
> that I wiped it from my hard drive.  The brain cells that were
> storing the exact reasons have been reassigned to something else,
> so I can't give the specific cause of my dismay.
>
> I'm already familiar with C (from my Amiga days), and after
> dowloading the LCC-Win32 compiler, the Win32 SDK, and reading
> the first couple chapters of Petzold's fine book on Win32,
> I've been able to code with fairly little difficulty.

That, of course, is always good. I think C is nicer for doing tight MS
Windows programs, and some utilities. Cross-platform C starts to get a
bit trickier, and of course the various end-users have to be able to
compile things. Java definitly comes from a non-MS Windows heritage, so
there is a lot that is different that takes a little getting used to if
you haven't used Unix's before.

Picking up Java from C probably will take a longer to get up with mainly
in knowing which library API classes to call, and in switching to
thinking in OO. Of course, since I mention Java here and support it's
use, I am available to help people get going. Sometimes finding the
right tools and getting over the initial hump is an issue. And again,
it's a nice way to get useful utilities over to more than one platform.

Oh, also, in my opinion: java applets == bad, java applications == good.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.