POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : eliptical confusion. : Re: eliptical confusion. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: eliptical confusion.
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 14 Feb 2000 23:22:00
Message: <38A8D7AE.1A4CE21D@osu.edu>
Ken wrote:

> If you take a look at the VFAQ under the section "how do I rotate the
> camera around the origin" Warp has added a section using sin/cos for
> changing a circular path to an elliptical path. Just take the code
> from the camera location section and move it into a translate function.
> Also instead of using the clock to increment the location use a while
> loop to increment the objects position.

this seems cleaner, but this doesn't seem as intuitive. I mean, how
exactly does this make things work better? (mind you, i havn't tried
this suggested method yet) The whole idea of a function is that you put
in a value and it returns another value. if these are in fact functions
describing ellipses(i assume they are, they were given and proclaimed
ellipses), then i would assume the output should look like an ellipse.
The blue one *kind of* does, the grey one not at all.

if there is something wrong with the manner in which I implemeted the
method I chose, could you please explain? i have not used macros before,
and I have never used pov in this (mathematical) way. to me though, it
feels like given a function f(theta), for a value theta the function
returns a distance from the origin. using theta and that returned value,
it should be simple to place a sphere there.

maybe I am entirely wrong, i'm just a youngin anyway.

thanks for offering help,
ross