POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : eliptical confusion. : eliptical confusion. Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  eliptical confusion.
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 14 Feb 2000 22:39:01
Message: <38A8CD98.3212F3C0@osu.edu>
Hi :)

i have two equations of an ellipse in polar form as follows:

f(theta)=(1-0.01671^2) / (1+0.01671*cos(theta-1.7968))

and

f(theta)=(0.937(1-0.232^2)) / (1+0.232*cos(theta-5.22))

where theta is the angle in radians, that i would like to have pov
generate the output of by placing a sphere every once in a while.

these equations are supposed to represent a planet's orbit as well as an
asteroids orbit. at 2 values for theta, they collide.

i have never used macros before, but i based my code on one of the
sample files. i am going to post the resulting image in
.binaries.images. The source is attached. I know there is a scene-files
group, but then i'd have all kinds of stuff to spread out.

basically, there are two problems, the blue path representing the planet
has strange, nearly flat, sections. The grey path, representing the
asteroid, has a very uncertain path alltogether :) And furthermore, two
collision points aren't evident. These are what the whole project is
about. and i calculated them in a different program. ths whole povray
stuff is extra. well, i hope someone can enlighten me.

thanks,
ross

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: