POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : pigment_map, normal_map, but ... : Re: pigment_map, normal_map, but ... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pigment_map, normal_map, but ...
From: David Fontaine
Date: 10 Feb 2000 17:57:53
Message: <38A34209.63454A61@faricy.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> A lot more to a finish than either pigments or normals.  And since there used to
> be refraction in finishes as well it was probably even less likely to be
> considered before.  Finish still has ambience, diffusion, highlighting,
> reflection, crand, metallic, brilliance, and I'm not sure what else but maybe
> that's it.  All of those would need to be patterned together.  Probably a lot of
> extra work in the programming of the source which no one had yet even begun to
> do yet.  Those are my thoughts on it anyway.

What's so hard about that? I could see the problem if refraction was included, but
that's interior now. Besides you can already do it with a texture map so most of the
code is probably already written.
Of course I don't know what I'm talking about.

--
 | \     |_                 <dav### [at] faricynet> <ICQ 55354965>
 |_/avid |ontaine               http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come" -Beatles