POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Eroded finish : Re: Eroded finish Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eroded finish
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 2 Feb 2000 16:03:02
Message: <38989C51.C2809A76@unforgettable.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3897EF69.BDED5ADE@umh.ac.be>, Fabian Brau
> <fab### [at] umhacbe> wrote:
>
> > A new pattern which can do this
> > automatically could be, in fact, difficult to use no?
>
> Not really, my idea was a curvature pattern, where the value depends on
> the curvature of the surface. So you could have the patina only be in
> concave areas, and the tips be polished metal, like the patina is worn
> off in those areas. This kind of thing is already possible with simple
> objects, but for more complex shapes a special pattern would be
> needed.(or an image would have to be used to control it)
>
> Another idea would be a visibility pattern, where the value of the
> pattern would depend on it's visibility from a specified point.

Hmm.. could this be done algorithmically by using trace from a lot of
really odd angles to determine how "open" a certain point would be? (ie,
a convex surface could be hit from anywhere, but a deep concave one, or
a groove between two convex surfaces, could only be hit from angles
which approach perpendicular.)

I haven't messed with trace, so it's just an idea being tossed out...

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

"Error has no rights." - Tomas de Torquemada