POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to make wireframe output? : Re: How to make wireframe output? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to make wireframe output?
From: Ken
Date: 1 Feb 2000 16:11:12
Message: <38974BDE.BC70B12C@pacbell.net>
Ken wrote:

> Andrew Woodfin wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm... What kind of luck does one have importing .pov scene files into 3DWin?
> > If that works, I could get the wireframes out of 3DWin. I have a mess of
> > declares and loops in my scene file, so I don't know how well 3DWin would
> > parse it?
>
>    3DWin will not import .pov files sorry. Basicaly you can't make solid
> objects in POV-Ray and get a wire frame output. POV-Ray has no wireframe
> pre-view mode.

Just so you are not totaly confused by my answer you need to understand
the way that 3DWin makes wire frames. 3DWin reads 3D file formats that
are represented as triangles. When you ask it to output to POV-Ray wire
frame mode it connects each vertice of the triangles as a sphere/cylinder
combination and leaves the triangle out. You end up with a wire frame
representation this way. Very complex models with many triangles make
extremely large .pov files. You can also choose blobs instead of
spheres/cyls but those files are even larger.