POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Artifacts : Re: Artifacts Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artifacts
From: Ken
Date: 1 Feb 2000 13:31:13
Message: <38972665.5C6CA5BE@pacbell.net>
James Wood wrote:

> I have a problem that I need help with!
> I have a image map that has a white background that I am trying to make
> transparent. The index of the color is 0 so I am using "filter 0,1".
> povray 3.1 makes the background transparent ok; but it leaves an
> artifact of the box or plane that it is mapped to, like the transparent
> part is refracting the light or something. How do I get rid of the
> artifact so that the only thing left is the non transparent part of the
> image?

I devised a simple test for this and was unable to duplicate your problem.
I made a simple image with a black dot on a white background. I then named
it itest.gif and saved it as a 256 color gif image - in my case the black
index is zero and the white index is 215. Using the scene code below the
box was completely transparent except for were the black dot was in the
image. Perhaps if you could paste in the problem part of your code we
might be able to see if it is a proceedural problem. The only other thing
I can think of is that your image background is not completely solid and
your artifacts are caused by this. Also mention what image format your
image_map image is, color depth, and what platform and version of POV-Ray
you are running.

background{rgb 1}

camera {location <0, 0, -3 >look_at  0}

box{-0.5,0.5 pigment{image_map{ gif "imap.gif" filter 215, 1}translate -0.5}}

light_source{< 0, 0, -29>rgb<1,1,1>}