POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray user count : Re: povray user count Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray user count
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Feb 2000 11:01:51
Message: <38970381.592BC3F@inapg.inra.fr>
Peter Popov wrote:

> If there were another POV user in Bulgaria I would have heard about
> him or her by now. This makes 1 in 8 million where I live. Unlikely I
> think :)

Everytime I do a public lecture about my POV work (happens a couple of times a year),
there's always at least one person who's using it too in the attendance. It is often
surprising. I've discovered for instance that some teachers use it to teach maths to
kids. People who are not internet-savvy just do not know about the newsgroups or the
povray page and do their own pov stuff ignoring the community out there. There are
also people who have to do a quick 3D stuff at work, spend a day learning the basics,
turn out the couple of spheres they need, and that's all.
Unlike commercial packages, who tend to appeal to certain definite crowds, POV seems
very versatile in that respect. It's a strange phenomenon actually.

G.