POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov 0.4 Now Available (Windows/Macintosh) : Re: A trivial #version conundrum Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:53:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A trivial #version conundrum
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 31 Jan 2000 18:50:09
Message: <38961FDE.38E9E839@enter.net>
"mr.art" wrote:

> I have used the #macro statement without any problem.
> I did have to set  #version unofficial MegaPov 0.4; to
> get isosurfaces to work, but that was all.
> I am using WinMeagPov0.4. Are you on a different os?

No, WinMegaPOV0.4 here. The only thing required to (reliably)
reproduce the problem for me is that I have to pull the...

Version=3.1

...out of my INI file. When this is done, without expressly
saying "#version official 3.1;" before the macro definitions
causes them to fail with the following error message:

C:\C_wip\test.pov:1: error: Macros require #version 3.1 but #version
3.00 is set

I may be the only person this even affects, of course.
I imagine most people keep the Version=3.1 in their INI
even though logically, it seems to me it should be
useless since the default version compatibility should
logically be the latest syntax. I would think the only
time Version should be needed in an INI is if you are
distributing a custom INI designed to render a piece of
"legacy" POV code, and even then, it would normally be
unneeded, since you could always use #version in the code
itself more effectively.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else
sees a similar problem. The solution is just to add the
"Version=3.1" back to your INI file. It's weird, but not
a show stopper.

Charles