POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray user count : Re: povray user count Server Time
10 Aug 2024 07:19:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray user count
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 30 Jan 2000 20:32:35
Message: <3894e633@news.povray.org>
I go to Kens web page for the links a several times a month on average and I
might be average too (not the povray links), so just going by that alone with
perhaps 15,000 accesses a year divide 15000 by 5 first = 3000 people.
Maybe the povray downloads is best to judge the number of people by but still
you'd want to divide that number by the average time a single person gets a file
(the povray distributions I take it, if not then various FTP d/l's need to be
subtracted out. Let's say that would be 1/25 of the 2.5 million d/l's just to
wild guess for actual POV-Ray only).  I'll conclude then that it's 1 million POV
d/l's per month, and over a longer period of time that would mean there might be
a few repeat d/l's to get updated versions.  Subtract out the multiple platform
users and it might cut this in half, then take away some errant re-d/l's for
whatever reason (bad d/l) and the final number might be 1/4 million people.  But
then maybe double that back just because....
Final total guesstamation: 500,000 POV-Ray users out there, whether they be
one-time users or full-time.
It's okay if you don't believe me though, I don't either.

Bob