POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release Server Time
13 Aug 2024 14:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 30 Jan 2000 08:28:47
Message: <38943CDA.40B9D824@fv.aetec.ee>
Ken wrote:

> Has this situation changed with the addition of UV mapping to MegaPov ?
>
> I announced the existence of the POV-Ray Tag on the IRTC mailing list
> yesterday and within 2 hrs. got a request for programmable shaders :)
>
> --

Sorry for late reply, but I was for a week on the mountains and off from
civilization (i.e. internet).

I'm currently working with Shader patch, which is based on Mercier's
POVMAN patch. I wrote letter to  mr. Mercier and got his permission to
use his work as suitable. So far I got his initial version integrated
with MegaPov and some example shaders working. Currently I'm working
with shader compiler, for POVMAN version was rather limited.(this was
initially going rather slowly due to my inexperience with LEXX and YACC,
but now I've got grip). I try to add as much support for RM SL version
3.8 as possible: so far I've added support for vector and normal
keywords, support for mixing of variable declarations and statements).
After that I was able to compile wood shader from BMRT distribution and
its rendering even resembled wood ;-)
My next task is adding support for user defined functions, as quite a
number of shaders use them. Then will come (???) matrixes and arrays.

One important thing is to add support for uv stuff, hopefully when I get
so far, someone will help me, as I don't have experience with it.

Some of RM features will probably never be implemented, e.g. message
passing. My intention is to make easier creation of new patterns or
extending old ones, all this without source code compilation (e.g. it
would be quite easy to create slope dependent pattern with this patch).
If one is lucky, then it could be possible to use other features of RM
SL as well, but generally it ain't that easy. I guess that best would
be, if unimplemented features produce warning and will be eaten up by
shading compiler.

Well, I hope that all of you, who want shaders, do not get expectations
too high, as I don't have mucho tiempo for my patching (worst of all,
during new year holidays I managed to delete my files and had to start
from scratch). But I'm intended to work on it until it gives some
results or it is clear, that I'm not able to do it...

P.S. I'd like to see, that in this group (and other groups as well, save
p.o-t) messages are more on-topic.