POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : materials and clockmod.inc : Re: materials and clockmod.inc Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: materials and clockmod.inc
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 29 Jan 2000 19:09:50
Message: <3893814e@news.povray.org>
blueFX - Bryan T. Schmidt <blu### [at] blueFXcom> wrote:
> I am using Chris Colefax's excellant "ClockMod" include files for
> animation support.  Cannot seem to figure out how to make its
> "Texture_From" statements work with materials, which I require for their
> "interior" properties.  I also work alot in Moray, which outputs
> materials, not textures.  Anyone know how to do this?

The texture animation features of the Automatic Clock Modifier rely on
averaging the desired textures together to smoothly blend them through the
animation.  But, one of the reasons for introducing the interior {} feature
was to group together those properties of an object that can't be blended in
any sensible way (refraction, caustics, etc.).

This means that if you want to keyframe interiors you must use the Clock
Modifier macros on each individual component you wish to adjust, e.g.

   object {...
      interior {
         ior From (0, 1) To (1, 1.33)
         fade_power 2
         fade_distance (0, 20) To (1, 5)
         caustics From (0, 2)  To (1, 0.5)
         }}

To blend media you can again keyframe the individual components (emission,
absorption, etc., and use the Map_From and Map_To macros to animate the
densities as explained in the Automatic Clock Modifier documentation.  Any
of this interior animation can be combined with a texture animation as well,
e.g.:

   material {
      texture {Texture_From ....
      interior { .... as shown above
         media { ....
            density { average density_map { Map_From ....

Note that using this method (modifying the components) also allows you to
animate different properties in separate ways - your ior might accelerate
upwards, while your caustics oscillate in a decreasing wave...