POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Error message:points in polygon are not co-planar : Re: Error message:points in polygon are not co-planar Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Error message:points in polygon are not co-planar
From: The Yodeling Veterinarian of the Alps
Date: 27 Jan 2000 18:18:20
Message: <3890D431.4F90F2F8@erols.com>
robcad-user wrote:

> Hello!
> I have the error message points in polygon are not co-planar, what
> means co-planar ? (example), what can I do to make them co-planar?

The message means that there is no plane that can contain all of the
points you gave for the object.  This happens for one of two reasons:

1) You actually tried to place all of the points such that they cannot
all lie in one plane.  For instance,

  polygon { 5,
    <-1,0,-1>,<1,0,-1>,<1,.1,1>,<-1,0,1>,<-1,0,-1>
  }

will cause this error; three of the points lie in the y=0 plane, but the
third point is off-plane.

2) The other cause is that you tried to place them in a plane that is
at an angle to the coordinate axes, and rounding error has caused one
of the points to go out of the plane.

One work-around is to define the polygon so that it lies in one of the
coordinate planes; specifically, set one of the coordinate components
to zero in all of the points, and then move it into position with the
appropriate transforms.

The other work-around is to turn the polygon into a bunch of triangles,
which are not subject to this problem; needless to say, you can only use
this work-around if you are making a linear spline polygon.

Hope this helps,
John