POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can this be done with MegaPOV? : Re: Can this be done with MegaPOV? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:10:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can this be done with MegaPOV?
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 26 Jan 2000 02:49:28
Message: <388ea658.404121@194.174.214.110>
Hi Darcy Johnston, you recently wrote in povray.general:

> I'm curious. Can someone explain how this works?
I think it's like this: when POV-Ray traces a ray from the camera
towards an object, it first checks to see whether the ray intersects
that objects' bounding box (if it has one) and only if it does does it
then actually work out where it intersects the object. So a ray from
the camera will always intersect the bounding box (and therefore the
object will be tested, too). But a reflected ray will not intersect it
and therefore that ray will not attempt to intersect the object.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray