POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.binaries : Earth's Media : Re: Earth's Media Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth's Media
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 24 Jan 2000 11:32:43
Message: <388c7eab@news.povray.org>
object { ContainerObject // scale 1000 here? media scale effect not present.
 material {
  texture { pigment { rgbf 1 } }
   interior { media {
                            scattering { 1, 1 }
                             density { 1 }
                            scale <.001,.001,.001> // opposed scale of object
scale
                            }
                }
    }
 // object scale.  If <.001,.001,.001> here then 1000 X in media.
 scale <1000,1000,1000>
}

This way should do okay.  You're scaling the media then to counter object
resize.  When the object size starts off large the media isn't affected by that
scaling, ie. 'object { ContainerObject scale <1000,1000,1000>' etc. though the
texture pattern and all isn't fit to it in a unit anymore so scaling at the end
is usually done, although the scaling counter-effect solution doesn't need to be
used in this way if the container is already large (or small) before media is
applied.
Hope this solves it for you now.

Bob

"Chris Spencer" <chr### [at] bluelectrodecom> wrote in message

| Bob Hughes <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message
| > You always have to oppose scale for media when scaling the object it's in.
| If
| > the scaling of the container object is first it isn't such a problem (?),
| if scaled after the media is in place then it is.
|
| What?  Do you mean scaling the entire texture w/ media or just the media or
| just the density or just the....etc.?
|
| > If the object is scale
| > <100,50,10> for example (at the end of the entire object statement) then
| go back
| > into the media statement and use a scale <1/100,1/50,1/10> to correct for
| the
| > increase in media density, etc.  Opposite true too.
|
| I scaled the object to <1000, 1000, 1000> but when I added a transformation
| to the density of <.001, .001, .001> the media disappeared completely.
| I think I understand your concept but I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed
| to be transforming.
|

| > Bob
| >
| > "Chris Spencer" <chr### [at] bluelectrodecom> wrote in message
| > | I have a problem...
| > |
| > | I've surrounded a sphere with media which isn't taking kindly to being
| > | scaled.  The model is a union of earth and a sphere of media surrounding
| it,
| > | simulating atmosphere.  When I try to scale this union the media becomes
| > | increasingly whiter and brighter until the image map of earth isn't
| visible.
| > |
| > | Is there a reason why this is happening?  Is there a way to fix this?
| > |
| > |  Thanks,
| > | -Chris-
| > |