POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Re: REQUEST: Animation posting guidelines : Re: REQUEST: Animation posting guidelines Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: REQUEST: Animation posting guidelines
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 26 Jan 2000 06:01:17
Message: <388ED35B.E2218EC1@xs4all.nl>
Peter Warren wrote:

> I was under the impression that AVI's were, not a standard,
> but capable of viewing by most people. I don't pretend to
> understand the technicalities of codecs.
> I am surprised that gif's aren't a good option.
>
> I've used an Mpeg encoder, but usually opt out for
> the easier Avi option.
> Hopefully I will soon find the time to use Sanders
> CMPEG windows frontend.
>
> Peter Warren
> war### [at] hotmailcom

I think AVI is as simple for Windows users as Quicktime is for Mac.
Which leaves the other people (Unix/Linux) in between? MPEG could be a
crossplatform standard but, as with the other formats is 'spoiled' by
the different codecs used. I don't even know what type of MPEG to make.
Animated GIFs have the big drawback of being very large most of the
time. I was hoping Sanders utility would help me out. It looks very
impressive, in fact a bit too impressive to me ;) As I mentioned above I
don't really know what all the options stand for and can do. Since
there's no need for _me_ to use MPEG other then for posting here I'll
stick with AVI most of the time and convert that to MPEG if the quality
loss isn't too painful. I try to not to use rare codecs and hope that
helps. Most of the time I still think AVI looks better then MPEG.

Remco