POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release : Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release Server Time
13 Aug 2024 14:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SHADERS: Please make POVRAY support Plugins SHADERS in the future release
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 22 Jan 2000 16:31:32
Message: <388A2193.EC1B89EB@skynet.be>
Am I right if I say :
The required skills to program a shader are almost equal to
the skills required to program a new texture/pattern into the
core Povray code ?

After all, and if I understood well, renderman shaders must
be compiled with an ordinary C++ compiler, and they are -sort of-
dynamically linked to the renderer (who gives some data to
the shader, and get a pixel color or some other data in return).

About UV-stuff, the renderers that have shaders usually have only
a few types of primitives : nurbs, bicubic things,...  And we know
that some Pov privitives CAN'T be UV-mapped : julias,...

Fabien.