POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : how to animate water? : Re: how to animate water? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:21:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: how to animate water?
From: Ken
Date: 20 Jan 2000 16:35:21
Message: <38877C7B.566F9E75@pacbell.net>
Steven Durham wrote:

> hi group,
> could someone (Ken Maybe?) direct me to a good tutorial on the basics of
> animating water with Pov? I am talking about ripples on a pond or waves in
> an ocean.
>
> thanks.
> Steven

I know of no tutorials on this subject. Animating breaking waves on the ocean
is impossible near as I can tell ( too hard for me anyway) but swells and
ripples can be simulated using normals along with the "phase" keyword when
combined with a clock value. You will have to experiment to find values
that work with the scale of your scene and the properties you wish to impart
to them.

 Sorry for the vague reply but I don't do many animations and I have never
tried to animate water except for one attept using a very unortodox approach
using height fields to simulate water dropping onto the surface of a pool.