POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tentacle (win9x) : Re: Tentacle (win9x) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tentacle (win9x)
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 18 Jan 2000 08:14:13
Message: <3884668F.BFB5975@xs4all.nl>
I realized I should've posted this in the windows-group so I moved it
there (I hope).

Peter Warren wrote:

> Remco
>
> It's very cool and creepy.

Thank you.
It's sort of applied POV-amethics...

> The problem I have with your screensavers (and others)
> is that they create extra windows and can hang my system
> if I'm running something else (say... PovRay).

Hmm.
I didn't realize that could be a problem. What version of Windows are
you using?

> As a fan of them (your src's) I will say this.
> I wish they had more configurable options.
> Like with psych, some of the patterns I especially
> like and would like to choose them to use.

I can understand that. At first adding a config-screen seemed like too
much trouble to me 8) but as it turns out it isn't. With Psych the
pattern is completely random so it'd probably be hard to configure that
(other then let you choose the randseed).

Also, the savers I have on my downloadpage are often not much more then
a demonstration of some sort of programming or graphics trick.
Of course I hope some people enjoy them.

> I don't know how difficult this is, my attempts at
> writing screensavers did not get very far.

In most cases it's rather simple. It just involves using an inifile,
something I didn't like to do at first but it is quite simple.

With the tentacle saver however I can't think of anything to configure.
I've left out the irritating tunes I tend to stick on some savers and
other then that... Any suggestions?

> >BTW I have now made quite a lot of savers based on POV-animations. If
> >anyone is interested in having his or her animation made into a
> >screensaver somehow contact me (but don't expect TOO much 8]).
>
> Wow, that is really nice.
>
> Peter

Remco

PS I added another screensaver to my page (for the StarTrek fans) where
the Enterprise E encounters a Bird of Prey. I'd welcome comments,
especially on the (propably totally wrong) proportions.
URL is http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/download.html#dogfight