POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Import of CAD Geomerty in IGES format : Re: Import of CAD Geomerty in IGES format Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Import of CAD Geomerty in IGES format
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 15 Jan 2000 09:53:43
Message: <38808A04.4C216A87@inapg.inra.fr>
Lionheart wrote:

> Perhaps another possible way is to transform the
> IGES surfaces into a mesh via triangulation. Triangulation is very easy
> to do with CATIA. But how may I transform the generated triangles into
> the smoth_traingle obejects used by POVRAY  ?
>
> Greetings, Lionheart.

If you can output the mesh to a format like 3DS, OBJ, DXF or several other
commercial formats, then the conversion to pov is made easy by one of the
many free or shareware utilities available :
http://www.povray.org/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/
Note that there are currently several mesh formats available in Pov : one in
the official 3.1 version and two in the unofficial patches Superpatch and
Megapov. Only the latter formats support uv-mapping so you may have to
consider a patched version of Pov if you need to export bitmap-mapped
meshes.

G.