POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG to texture : Re: JPEG to texture Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG to texture
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 13 Jan 2000 01:25:15
Message: <387D6FD8.C34DE02F@ij.net>

> [On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 21:25:22 -0500, Matt Giwer <jul### [at] ijnet>]
> | The bad news is that in 1996 (95?) when I wrote my quick and dirty
> | HTML guide I  mentioned that fractal compression was coming to browsers.
> |     I'll believe it when I see it.
>
> There's a big difference here. No successful fractal compression
> algoithm exist. There surely is a great potential here, but no
> algorithm for effectively turning an image into a set of fractal
> functions.

    As I saw it, the problem was the decompression routine was free. The
compression routine was hardware only at about $300 or so. Out of my interest
and league for a one function card.

> JPEG2000 however uses well known algorithms, and an implementation
> already exists. It's written in Java, so you could have
> JPEG2000 images in your browser today.

    In fact a quick look says I have such a plugin on Netscape but I don't
remember ever coming across such a file -- nor do I remember ever installing
such a thing so it likely came with.