POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Joke (actually a true story) : Re: Joke (actually a true story) Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:20:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Joke (actually a true story)
From: Steve Martin
Date: 10 Jan 2000 08:08:30
Message: <3879D9AB.C1CD9198@usit.net>
> "The Borg" is a race in the series StarTrek which work collectively. The Borg
> Trojans spread around (since they are trojans I guess they are hidden in
> other applications) and work collectively to flood internet servers and other
> bad things.
>
> Since I was quite impressed with the idea, I told a friend about it. He asked
> me if I could write such a trojan for him. I was stunned and asked "What?,
> Why?". "But make it render povray scenes instead. I want a PoV-Ray
> renderfarm!"

Refer your friend to a book called "The Adolescence of P1". It was
published
in paperback several years back. It's old enough that the computers in
the
story were all IBM mainframes (so it's pretty dated), but the
protagonist
in the story does something of this sort to gain control of a group of
banking computers in Chicago and accidentally creates an artificial
intelligence that runs in basically every telecom-connected mainframe in
the
world (including banks, SAC, the DEW line, et cetera). This would be a
great
thing to have, I guess... just say "P1, please render my multi-megabyte
POV
file and let me know when it's done, that's a pal!". <grin>