POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Windows shell for DOS CMPEG utility : Re: Windows shell for DOS CMPEG utility Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows shell for DOS CMPEG utility
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 9 Jan 2000 20:09:31
Message: <38793129.4F66DDF9@buckosoft.com>
"Jon A. Cruz" wrote:

> On Windows, there's a define in an include file somewhere you should use.
> MAX_PATH. It's in stdlib.h and windef.h on my version here. In those it's set
> to 260.

Although for new work, you should use the ANSIesque _MAX_PATH . (All system thingys
are prefixed with an underscore to diferentiate from user thingys.)

From the MSDN library:
Path Field Limits
#include <stdlib.h>

Remarks

These constants define the maximum length for the path and for the individual fields
within the path.

Constant Meaning
_MAX_DIR Maximum length of directory component
_MAX_DRIVE Maximum length of drive component
_MAX_EXT Maximum length of extension component
_MAX_FNAME Maximum length of filename component
_MAX_PATH Maximum length of full path

The sum of the fields should not exceed _MAX_PATH.

Of course in typical M$ "We interpret the standards" fashion, we end up with
_strnicmp() yet strncmp().

> Interestingly enough, wininet has a INTERNET_MAX_PATH_LENGTH set to 2048. I
> guess all those buffer overruns attacks on MSIE were in part due to MS
> programmers not using their own defines.

Bug wise, it doesn't really matter what define you use if you ignore it yourself.
That is, if you define a 256 byte buffer and then don't care how much you put in...

---
dik