POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Windows shell for DOS CMPEG utility : Re: Windows shell for DOS CMPEG utility Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows shell for DOS CMPEG utility
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 9 Jan 2000 11:57:02
Message: <3878BEC1.A4B6C512@geocities.com>
Sander wrote:

> Isn't there always?
> What do _you_ suggest? Dynamic allocation of space? Or whatever it's called?
>  I am just a layman, don't forget!
> --
> Regards,
> Sander
>
> Nieminen Juha <war### [at] punarastascstutfi> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 387893fe@news.povray.org...
> > Sander <san### [at] stolscom> wrote:
> > : I'll upload the newer version (0.1.1.385). In it I have provided space
> for
> > : longer path names, 256 chars.
> >
> >   Why there should be any limit?

On Windows, there's a define in an include file somewhere you should use.
MAX_PATH. It's in stdlib.h and windef.h on my version here. In those it's set
to 260.

Interestingly enough, wininet has a INTERNET_MAX_PATH_LENGTH set to 2048. I
guess all those buffer overruns attacks on MSIE were in part due to MS
programmers not using their own defines.

Oh, and on another side-note, on other OS's I've seen the corresponding #define
limit set to 1024 and 4096.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.