POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG to texture : Re: JPEG to texture Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG to texture
From: Ken
Date: 9 Jan 2000 11:53:30
Message: <3878BB83.1C343DB3@pacbell.net>
Ross Taylor wrote:

>     I have a wonderful picture of bark that I'd like to use as a texture
> in a scene... yet I couldn't find any way to do this.  Is there any way
> to make a JPEG a texture in POV-Ray (or any other picture format for
> that matter)?  If not, is there any other way that I could make a
> semi-convincing bark texture?
>
> -Thanks in advance!

The official version of POV-Ray has no support for the jpg format. You
could however convert the jpg image into something lile a .tga image
file then use the image map pigment feature to apply your bark image
as a texture. I have had reasonable success using this method.

example -

pigment {
 image_map { tga "bark.tga" interpolate 2 }
}