POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : newly installed on linux box ... few questions : Re: newly installed on linux box ... few questions Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: newly installed on linux box ... few questions
From: Steve Martin
Date: 9 Jan 2000 08:14:39
Message: <3878899A.FA7430FB@usit.net>
> Another and IMO easier way would be to use the package screen.
>
> screen -S povray
> will create a new 'screen' called 'povray' this is just another shell
> basically, in here you start the render, or whatever you want, then
> press ctrl+a,d to jump away from that screen.
> this can afterwards be resumed(to watch output and other things) by
> using screen -r povray
> screen is a rather handy lil' prog that i tend to use a lot (either
> local or remote computers)

Hmmm... this does sound handy, and sounds like something I wish
I had on our SCO machine at work (into which I dial occasionally).
However, I had never heard of that. Just checked, and apparently
this is not something that's a default part of Linux (at least,
not RH6). You know the old saying... "go with what you know best". :)