POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Background Images? : Re: Background Images? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Background Images?
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 7 Jan 2000 12:39:00
Message: <387624A9.770C0A88@ida.utb.hb.se>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

>   There's no way in povray to say "if the first ray shot from the camera
> doesn't hit anything, then take that pixel from this image".
>   This could be an interesting feature, though.

I've thought of this, too. Should fit in the background statement, if
background could take a pigment statement, like this:

background{
  pigment{
    image_map{
      ..
    }
  }
}

The BNF would then have to be modified to something like this:

<background_statement> ::= background { <color_statement> |
<pigment_statement> }
<color_statement> ::= color <3dim_def> <3dim_vector> | <4dim_def>
<4dim_vector>
<pigment_statement> ::= pigment { <const_color_statement> |
<image_map_statement> }
<4dim_def> ::= rgbt | rgbf
<3dim_def> ::= rgb
etc.