POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : spherical light math help ... : spherical light math help ... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  spherical light math help ...
From: Paul Vanukoff
Date: 7 Jan 2000 12:02:20
Message: <38761c1c@news.povray.org>
I am working on a spherical light, so far it looks something like this:

#declare STEP=0.2;

#declare M=-1;
#while (M<=1)
    #declare N=-1;
    #while (N<=1)
        #declare O=-1;
        #while (O<=1)

            #if ( (M*M+N*N+O*O) <= 1 )
                light_source
                {
                    < M, N, O> color White/DIVISOR
                }
            #end
        #declare O=O+STEP;
        #end
    #declare N=N+STEP;
    #end
#declare M=M+STEP;
#end

Only problem is, I don't know what to set DIVISOR to, in order for the
overall brightness to equal that of a single light_source.  I know it has
something to do with the volume of a sphere, and the value of STEP. Does
anyone know what formula to use?

--
Paul Vanukoff
van### [at] primenetcom