POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-How-To : Re: POV-How-To Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-How-To
From: Robert J Becraft
Date: 7 Jan 2000 10:33:44
Message: <38760758@news.povray.org>
>>These are good techniques, but I have a minor nit to pick.  What you're
>>really doing is putting the *appearance* of millions of primitives
>>into the scene, by painting an image map onto a polygon, and placing it
>>appropriately.  More precisely, you're making one primitive do the
>>work of hundreds, and are arranging things so that the qualitative
>>difference is not easily perceptible.

The image being used is composed of several thousand objects that I would
have placed in the actual composition as primatives IF POV could handle that
many objects.  Since there was no way to do that, in the composition I was
creating, I experimented and discovered a technique that allows me to give
the appearance as you say of millions of primatives.

It is a technique and because it is a technique, it may not apply to
everyone's needs.  Where it doesn't work, for example in an animation, it
will either need to be adapted or not used.

The main and intended purpose of this technique is to allow organic
materials which by their very nature are primative object intensive to be
modelled and incorporated into scenes that require that high level of object
primatives.

People can now cover their castles with ivy.  You can have trees in the
distance of a previously barren landscape.  You can have more than 1 tree in
your barren landscape.   For my purposes, I have millions of flowers in my
garden.

Robert J Becraft
aka cas### [at] aolcom