POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : 3D Splines : Re: 3D Splines Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Splines
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 3 Jan 2000 08:08:46
Message: <3870C987.E64F7838@ij.net>
msk### [at] msncom wrote:

> Can someone tell me how to create a 3D (cubic) spline from a list of points in it?
Specificaly, I want to be able to animate the
> camera's position in a smooth manner by giving a list of points that it should
travel through in order.  Points that are closer
> together should make it travel more slowly.  Does my question even make sense?  If
anyone can help here, thanks in advance.

    I have seen some of the other responses.

    No. If you do not understand it, you find and follow the recipe. If that does not
work you find the theory and learn it. That is
the only solution.

    I have more math behind me than I would like to be reminded of. I'd find the right
equation, render about three to six errors
before figuring out how to make it run right. It would also take me about ten times
longer to relearn the math and then try to make
it run right so I don't bother. So I live on the gut feel memory.

    Sorry but there is no substitution for you time in hell learning the math.

    But the good side is that you can fake camera location and look_at and probably
get it right in the same six errors tries that it
takes me.

    If you do not understand the basic representation of the math then you have a
problem that only education will repair. It is not
hard really. Rather it is more like learning the language. Its nothing secret, not
magic, just a language. Once you learn to think in
it you are home free.