POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.msdos : Re: Question : Re: Question Server Time
18 May 2024 13:34:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question
From: Philip Bartol
Date: 30 Dec 1999 02:20:06
Message: <386b07a6@news.povray.org>
In article <3718FF7F.2B31014B@panama.phoenix.net>, Anthony Bennett
<ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:
>Is this group really necessary?

Though I run Win95 on my machine I've never downloaded the Windows version of
POV. The download time isn't worth the multi-tasking I don't do anyway (with
POV anyway). I run POVDOS in a DOSBox on Win95 with as much CPU time and
memory alotted to it as possible, only allowing me to ALT-TAB out to use the
calculator or Spatch.

I don't run a Pentium and I don't have 16MB of RAM (let alone 32 or 64 that
most Win users have available to Windoze). POVDOS runs great, the only limit I
really run into is the Max_Trace_Level which under the DOS version only allows
for about 32 levels of trace... but I've not really needed more than that yet
(anything more would keep my little AMD busy for days).

Eventually I'll get the latest Bill Gates machine running that Win98 thing
(yuck) and this computer will get some minor upgrades allowing me to run Linux
comfortably. At that point I should be running both the Win version as well as
the Linux version, I also plan to network the two computers together so I can
share files. Stuff that's just too slow for the AMD I'll do on the new
machine.

DOS isn't dead, there are 3 or 4 DOSes still around (even if MS won't sell it
anymore), people all over the world still use it. Internet access is mainly
what pushed me over to using Win95 full time, but even then I used a DOS
program for 1/2 of my access (Arachne) because I only had 4MB of ram for a
while.

Sorry any spelling mistakes, my newsgroup reader doesn't have spell check.

PHIL