POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Web Site : Re: New Web Site Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Web Site
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 1 Jan 2000 17:16:48
Message: <386E7D9F.24D099EA@geocities.com>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I've rewritten most of my web site. Please take a look and report anything
> not working etc. Also any suggestions would be gratefully received as I'm
> rather new to HTML.
>
> Mick
>
> --
>        http://www.minda.swinternet.co.uk/index.htm

Well, being a resident HTML pedantic expert, here are a few suggestions.

First of all, the layout is very good. I'd only suggest better colors on the
text and a link back to home from the other pages. Bright blue text against
that medium blue background is not quite the best choice for legibility.
Especially for us older guys. :-) Also, you might make a simple 88x31 button
graphic for your link back to home. Then I could take that graphic and use it
on my pages to link to your site (cool, double-duty).

Hmmm. Now for the technical stuff...

For anyone getting started, I'd strongly suggest going through the info at
http://www.htmlhelp.org/
Even the W3C is linking to them nowadays.

You should add a <!DOCTYPE...> at the begining of your pages.

<METANAME=
should be
<META NAME=
(To help remember, it's a META tag, not a METANAME tag)

In your body tag you specify only 4 colors. You should specify all 5. The
missing one is BGCOLOR. You do have a background image, but it's still a good
idea to always include a color too (especially when the bg image is slow to
load, broken, etc.)

Usually I like sites to not set LINK VLINK and ALINK to the same color as
TEXT. At the very least I like VLINK to be different to help me keep track of
where I've been lately.

You seem to be abusing the FONT tag. Many people think it's a bad idea to use
it (myself included). But if you are going to use it, it needs to be within
the <P> tags. Technically a FONT element can't contain a <P>aragraph element,
so you need to place open and close FONT tags within each P tag pair, not
around the P tags. But a better thing would be to define a style via CSS and
place a STYLE attribute on each of those <P>aragraphs.

MARQUEE is a MSIE specific tag that many people think is almost as evil as
Netscape's BLINK tag. (Personally I think the BLINK tag is far more evil)

Change your sig to have a mailto

<A
HREF="mailto:mha### [at] mindaswinternetcouk">mha### [at] mindaswinternetcouk</A>

Some places you have ALINK="LIME". It's a good idea to just stay completely
away from the named colors and stick with hex values.

<TABLE  ALIGN="Center" ALIGN="Top">
should be
<TABLE  ALIGN="Center">
(Only one value per attribute. Also, there is no top for tables)

IMG tags should have an ALT attribute

At some points (the image pages ) you have some typos. ">>" and "<P."

You should do a color anaglyph of Harvest.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.