POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Feature suggestion -- Wireframes : Re: Feature suggestion -- Wireframes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature suggestion -- Wireframes
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 27 Dec 1999 19:23:00
Message: <386802C5.80A48509@buckosoft.com>
Steve Martin wrote:

> When generating animations, it's extremely helpful to be able
> to render a very fast, very low-quality version of the images
> to check for object motion and the like. I know thatPOV-Ray
> has the Q switch to lower quality by removing expensive
> calculations, but I'd like to see a mode where it just
> renders wireframes of the objects involved. This would probably
> be even faster and would serve the purpose. Perhaps the +Q0
> setting (which is already a duplicate of +Q1) could be re-
> defined to turn on wireframe display.

Agreeing with the other comments about wireframe-is-difficult,
i structure my code with conditionals to speed up renders.
Like i have a Christmas Tree which can be rendered as a single cone
rather than 90000 objects.

http://www.buckosoft.com/office/cvsweb/pov/cvsweb.cgi/tteoac/ctree.inc?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
See #if (UseRealTree) and #if (UseFakeTree)

You could do the same thing.  Choose either a monopigment cube or sphere depending
on the "real" shape of the complex object and use that for checking motion
for your real objects.

dik