POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.tutorials : Q: Tutorials on hand-made scenes? : Q: Tutorials on hand-made scenes? Server Time
3 May 2024 23:29:34 EDT (-0400)
  Q: Tutorials on hand-made scenes?
From: Takahiro Horie
Date: 21 Dec 1999 20:06:06
Message: <38602459.E864CB13@ucdavis.edu>
Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew of some tutorials for a beginner
who doesn't have a modeller. I am running linux and I tried a few of the
modellers (Behemot, Giram, etc.) but most of them required high-quality
video cards and Mesa/OpenGL type of stuff and I'm not on such a great
computer. So I want to become competent creating scenes only from code,
but I am having difficulties.

In the official POV-Ray docs, the explanation on Bicubic Patch Objects
uses "Moray" -- which I can't use. I tried to create a few objects
typing in my own points, but it is _extremely_ time consuming (I was
trying to make it wrap around and connect). My friend told me that is
would have taken only a few minutes to do that in a modeller. Doh!

So I was wondering if anyone know of some hand-code *ONLY* tutorials.
I don't know if they exist, or even if anyone can produce scenes with
hand-code as fast as with, say, 3DStudio MAX, but I'd like to find out.
When I look at a lot of comments by people who create scenes, it seems
like they all use a modeller to produce things fast (which is what I'd
like to do... i don't have the patience for picking points and rendering
every 0.01 change so many times). But I do have enough patience to learn
it, if the results of a hand-coded scene and a modelled scene are the
same and take up the same amount of time.

Also, please tell me if I'm posting to the right newsgroup. I didn't
want to cross post everywhere.

Thanks! - Another New Povray User, Takahiro (tho### [at] mailusacom)