POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: LZW concerns Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:10:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LZW concerns
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 19 Dec 1999 14:18:50
Message: <385d2f9a@news.povray.org>
Jerome M. BERGER <jbe### [at] enstfr> wrote:
: 	They didn't patent something that was previously published, they just
: waited until it was firmly established before trying to enforce their
: patent

  Of course it was published.
  Those two statements are contradictory. How could people use it if it wasn't
published?

  If I invent a new and revolutionary algorithm for raytracing 10 times
faster than any current method and write an article here explaining it,
I couldn't patent it here in Finland for two reasons:
  1) Algorithms can't be patented, only industrially profitable inventions
(mostly real devices) can be patented.
  2) Even if they could, I couldn't patent this because I published it
in a public forum (even if I deleted it an hour after sending it).

  There is a case here in Finland where a patent was denied because the
applicant had put the specifications of his invention for 1 day in the WWW.