POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: LZW concerns Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LZW concerns
From: Jerome M  BERGER
Date: 20 Dec 1999 22:00:57
Message: <385EED17.2757E319@enst.fr>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> "Jerome M. BERGER" wrote:
>
> >         I may be wrong, but I believe the chronology is as follows:
> > 1. the LZ algorythm was published
>
> In point of fact, several LZ algorithms were published, but yes.

	Well, there was the original and then several variants (including the
LZ77 of gzip fame), I don't know exactly where LZW fits in with the
other variants...

> > 2. Unisys developped some changes to this algorithm
>
> One guy at a company that is now part of Unisys made some improvements.

	That amounts to the same thing legally, I think

> >         Point 5 is the reason why I think such a patent becomes unenforceable
> > in France (besides the problem with patenting an algorithm the exact
> > status of which I don't know)
>
> It's similar to the legal notion of need to defend trademarks, then?

	Well, I'm not a lawyer, but I think so, yes

> The argument may be that software that implements (reads or writes) LWZ
> compression is a software simulation of the hardware it was originally
> designed for.  Whether that holds water in France, I have no idea.

	Neither do I

> Maybe it will all end if some enlightened individual patents
> patenting...

	YEAH! Anybody here who's in a country where you can do that illing to
try it? :)

		Jerome
--

* they'll tell you what can't * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* be done and why...          * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger
* Then do it.                 *