POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : MetaCreations sells off all graphics products : Re: MetaCreations sells off all graphics products Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MetaCreations sells off all graphics products
From: David Heys
Date: 20 Dec 1999 14:51:26
Message: <385E8742.CB570A0@gci.net>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:

> A company-betting strategy focusing solely on software to display goods
> for sale on the internet?
>
> Sounds like a network only letting teenagers write sitcom scripts
> because teenagers are the most important market for advertisers.

Actually, I think it's a bold move on their part. True, it's risky. But
it'll give them a chance to be one of the major players in the development
of commercial sites on the web. E-tailing is exploding all over the place
these days. Here in the U.S., I'd say that at least 1/3 of the commercials
on television are purely for etailers. Another 1/3 of the commercials list
website addresses in their ads.

Any company that can set a standard for product presentation (ie, flash,
metastream, avi, mpeg, etc..), or become a major player in such a niche, is
set to make a whole crapload of money.

Poser, Bryce, and Ray Dream are all great products, but they won't be able
to give the company anywhere near the same level of profit-making.

David
--
Keeper of the family pets.
"You want fish? I got fish. I got fish, and eels, and turtles, and snails,