POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: LZW concerns Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LZW concerns
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 19 Dec 1999 13:36:15
Message: <385D259D.A87794AA@mailbag.com>
Ken wrote:

> If your country honors international patent agreements, like many civilized
> countries do, there is a good chance that patents originated here will apply
> in your country too. If you want links to resources of information on patent
> and copyright law let me know and I will fill your email box with them :)

In my opinion, civilized countries should not grant software patents,
and I personally wouldn't fault civilized countries for failing to
recognize them.  Frankly, I'm more worried about patenting of genes.
One of these days, some moron in the patent office is going to approve a
patent for RNA polymerase, and then we'll all be out of luck.  The USPTO
is completely broken, and if they never issued another patent, the world
would be a better place for it.

-Mark Gordon

(insert necessary disclaimers: I don't speak for the POV-Team, and I
certainly don't speak for my employer)