POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: LZW concerns Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LZW concerns
From: Nigel Stewart
Date: 19 Dec 1999 02:18:03
Message: <385C7EF9.7F3CAB04@nigels.com>
>   I have made a gif-viewer myself. They can sue me if they want.

I put a freeware windows based GIF to PNG converter online about
2 years ago, and I still havn't heard from Unisys.  It simply
decodes GIF and encodes PNG - surely a violation of Unisys's vague
patent claims.  I did talk to Unisys about a license, but didn't
feel that a US$500 starting fee was very "community minded".
(When Unisys jump on the Open Source bandwagon, they'll have a
lot of back-peddling to do.)

I'd like to know how much Unisys bribed Netscape and Microsoft
for their poor adoption of PNG in web browsing products.  GIF
is such an outdated hack of a file format that there is no logic
to it's continued popularity.

--
Nigel Stewart (nig### [at] nigelscom)
Research Student, Software Developer, Tokyo Dweller