POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: LZW concerns Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LZW concerns
From: Marc Schimmler
Date: 17 Dec 1999 07:52:16
Message: <385A31FF.99C813DF@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Ken wrote:

> Nieminen Juha wrote:
> >
> >   I don't think that a patent made in the US is valid here in Finland
> > (moreover it's not possible to patent such a thing here even if one wanted
> > to; there are two reasons for this, the most important one being that you
> > can't patent previously published things).
> >   I have made a gif-viewer myself. They can sue me if they want.
>
> If your country honors international patent agreements, like many civilized
> countries do, there is a good chance that patents originated here will apply
> in your country too. If you want links to resources of information on patent
> and copyright law let me know and I will fill your email box with them :)
>
> --
> Wishing you Seasons Greetings, A Merry Christmas, and A Happy New Year !

Ken, you are absolutely right! The european community honors the patents
for LZW (even if I don't understand how two independent patents are
possible for the same thing, namely for IBM and UNISYS). In fact it
could be quit dangerous to ignore these patents.
On the other hand you can't get a patent for software as european patent
but as a world patent (which the europeans
honor).
I'm no lawyer so this is what I know from the patent lectures I heard a
few years ago.

For more on the LZW patent and a way around them see

http://burnallgifs.org/

All the best,

Marc

--