POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : *** SURVEY *** : Re: *** SURVEY *** Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:17:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: *** SURVEY ***
From: Ken
Date: 17 Dec 1999 04:44:13
Message: <385A03F6.D41BBD5D@pacbell.net>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> However, I think that such a resource would be extremely valuable if the
> textures were of the less-obvious kind, and of a more scene-oriented kind :
> complex textures in the lines of Jeff Lee's brick pattern or SamuelT's peeling
> paint isosurface texture, that would include the combination of normals,
> warps, pigment maps and texture maps required to do some hard stuff. This
> would make life easier for every user, from newbies who could learn from it to
> "advanced" ones who could save time. What about a "skyscraper at night"
> texture, for instance ? Or a "dirty wall with some irregular bricks showing
> beneath the cracked paint and rusty spots" texture. Or "dull texture with very
> small dents very far apart"... BTW, I find that textures are better to figure
> when in context : glass textures should be shown on bottles or glasses, wood
> textures on simple pieces of furniture, stones texture on stone-like blobs or
> bezier patches, slope_dependent textures on height-fields and so on. Just an
> idea, but I do appreciate seeing that in Bryce, for instance (at least for the
> stone and terrain textures).

I personaly agree with what you are saying and that is indeed what I think
the site should concentrate on.  How we will get people to contribute this
calibur of textures to the site remains to be seen but we can hope that
those that really know their stuff will take the time to contribute to
the collection.

Hint, hint....

--
Wishing you Seasons Greetings, A Merry Christmas, and A Happy New Year !