POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I'm Older : Re: I'm Older Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm Older
From: Sander
Date: 16 Dec 1999 10:15:01
Message: <385901f5@news.povray.org>
OK, I was just wondering where the taste for battering a keyboard came
from...

And it's true: when I look around to see how some friends and family members
my age perform, I find very little that is interesting. Of the 15, 7of them
own a PC, 3 do have a reasonable recent model, none has ever done any
programming, and 1 is very happy with my first 8MHz 286AT, now 10 years
old.... Most use it as a typewriter. None have any basic skills (DOS,
Windows, etc.) Only 2 have an internet connection, and no one uses it
regularly. In vain I tried to explain to them why POV-Ray, for one thing,
fascinates me!

When my son was about 11 years old, I could still tell him about things like
Fortran, Pascal, and assembler. Somewhat later, suddenly he started to move
very quickly : he is now, at 28, a programmer by profession and I am way too
dumb to understand how he does it all! I suppose he looks upon me as you do
upon your parents (in this respect). BTW: POV-Ray doesn't interest him one
bit: he thinks I'm mad.

--
Regards,
Sander

omniVERSE <inv### [at] aolcom> schreef in berichtnieuws
38564b8c@news.povray.org...
> Oh, no, never.  You are a true POVer, guess I could say anyhow.
>  I was getting a mental image of my parents pecking at the keyboard trying
> desparately to render just a basic example scene file or do a sphere {0,1
> pigment {color red 1}}  (they would no doubt never get the camera or a
light
> in there to see a self-made scene).
> They just happen to be born around mid-1930's is all.
> To be fair though my mother manages to do plenty enough on a computer
(after
> a couple years of my teaching her), just nothing like POV-Ray ever done.
My