POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:29:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 16 Dec 1999 00:23:48
Message: <38587722.767E56BF@geocities.com>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> POV-Ray already uses LZW (support for GIF's as heightfields).  I'm not
> sure we have a written agreement with Unisys, since that feature
> predates my joining the team.  I'll ask.  If it becomes a serious
> problem, we also support PNG heightfields.

Unisys' claims are fairly extensive, but many in the field believe that their
patent only applies to creation, not to using. Thus, viewing GIF might be fine
even though you need a license from them to create them. Of course, if you
belonged to a large company with some decent pockets you could actually test
this in court. Just because you are right, doesn't mean it would be cheap :-(

(Remember, I am not a lawyer. Consult your attourney for actual advice)

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.