POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Volume of a 3d mesh : Re: Volume of a 3d mesh Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:02:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volume of a 3d mesh
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 14 Dec 1999 12:30:24
Message: <38567eb0@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <van### [at] erolscom> wrote in message
> Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Is there an automatic way to calculate the volume of a 3d mesh?

<snip>

    I've been trying to figure this out, considering that I don't really
understand matrixes or meshes and I am working with a D in highschool
algebra.

    The only way I can see to do it is to somehow read the mesh into an
separate program of some sort. Was this what you meant, John? I think I can
write a C program that might do it, though I think it -might- be just barely
possible in PovRay itself.

    Also, I now have a trial version of Rhino (been running for 3 days so as
to not use up any iterations 8-) and it exports a nice mesh. Can I assume
that the order in which it is written  "goes in the same direction for each
triangle (either clockwise or counter-clockwise) "? Oh, I think I just
thought of a way to test this but just in case I still would like to hear
any input. Basically I am thinking of writing a parser inside of a povray
file.

    Thanks for any help.