POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 9 Dec 1999 23:50:12
Message: <38508684@news.povray.org>
Claude Mench <c.m### [at] adilinstrumentscom> wrote ...
>     Thank's for your answer, I read your papers about the photon mapping
> in UVPov and also Jensens original one. I have one question, You are use
> your own sampling method for light ray with your spiral sampling and said
> that Jensens methods gives noisy results. But the images i've seen from
> Jensen are not noisy. Does your sampling method give an performance hurt
> compared to Jensen's ?

I have been able to get OK results with pure random shooting, but I always
had to shoot a very large number of photons.  Using my jittered spiral
technique, I am able to get very good results with few photons.  If
anything, it should offer better performance than a totally random method
(or even a weighted monte-carlo method).

I still don't know exactly how Jensen got the good results that he got with
his monte-carlo photon tracing.

-Nathan