POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Fox Network uses povray??? : Re: Fox Network uses povray??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fox Network uses povray???
From: Ken
Date: 9 Dec 1999 22:18:47
Message: <385070EF.4BF6F047@pcabell.net>
Steve Martin wrote:

> > I know little on the subject but I suspect it will take a combination of
> > both hardware and software to do a good job of it.
>
> True, and I anticipate that it will take a video card that can generate
> NTSC video rather than the RGB used in a typical SVGA monitor.

That is what I was thinking but alas I know so little on the subject.

> I guess my question really boils down to "what could I use to generate
> a broadcast-quality movie from a bunch of TGAs?" I'm not happy at all
> with the quality I get in my MPEG-1 movies using mpeg_encode from
> Berkeley, especially since my system cannot keep up with the demand
> of decoding 30 frames per second at 720 x 486. There's gotta be another
> way.

  You might try contacting Larry Gritz from Pixar either through e-mail or
target a question in the renderman group. I'm sure that with his affiliation
with Pixar he knows how they send digital output to a format that the movie
producers use for video productions.

> BTW, Ken, thanks for the serious response. The name in my sig is my
> real name, not an alias, but it prompted silly responses that
> were no help at all from everyone but you.

   Well my Elvis persona jumped on the bandwagon for a moment but I
got over that and felt a serious reply was needed in response to the
original question.