POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Fox Network uses povray??? : Re: Fox Network uses povray??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fox Network uses povray???
From: Steve Martin
Date: 9 Dec 1999 22:11:04
Message: <38506EEE.456EED8D@usit.net>
> I know little on the subject but I suspect it will take a combination of
> both hardware and software to do a good job of it.

True, and I anticipate that it will take a video card that can generate
NTSC video rather than the RGB used in a typical SVGA monitor.

> You can easily set up
> POV-Ray to render the correct frame rate but what screen resolution to
> use and how to get it out of the machine is not something I have worked
> with.

I can handle that, too. I can get my hands on the specs for the
horizontal
and vertical pixel numbers for active video.

> Interim storage space is an issue too. Let's say you use a screen
> resolution of 640x480 at 60 frames per second output to .tga images.
> That would be about 5.4 megs of images for each minute of video.

Got two 1G partitions doing nothing, just waiting to be filled.

I guess my question really boils down to "what could I use to generate
a broadcast-quality movie from a bunch of TGAs?" I'm not happy at all
with the quality I get in my MPEG-1 movies using mpeg_encode from
Berkeley, especially since my system cannot keep up with the demand
of decoding 30 frames per second at 720 x 486. There's gotta be another
way.

BTW, Ken, thanks for the serious response. The name in my sig is my
real name, not an alias, but it prompted silly responses that
were no help at all from everyone but you.