POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3dnoise docs : Re: 3dnoise docs Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dnoise docs
From: Ron Parker
Date: 9 Dec 1999 09:20:48
Message: <384fbac0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 08:50:23 -0500, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>Yes, I'm wondering about the parameters that can go into the equation.  I've
>made things that look OK with just linear modifications to x,y,z.  Is there
>a source doc or source paragraph somewhere?  I was told that they just plain
>forgot to include this in one of the latest releases of superpatch.

"They" would be me.  There are a lot of neat tricks you can do with isosurfaces
that aren't documented with the superpatch.

noise3d takes three parameters, x, y, and z.  What you choose to give it for
those parameters is entirely up to you, and limited only by your imagination.
If you want a cyclic noise, for example, you can feed it a cyclic function as
a parameter, such as

 #declare x_cyclic_noise = fucntion {noise3d( 20*sin(x/20), y, z)}

There is no way to bound an isosurface with anything but a box or a sphere,
due to the way the code is written.  I may try to fix this one day soon,
depending on many factors I won't discuss right now.  You can, however,
create a function that intersects two isosurfaces without using CSG. Try
this and see if it's what you're looking for, but I suspect it'll look
like what you got with intersect:

 #declare noisynoise = function {noise3d( x,y,z) & noise3d(20*x,20*y,20*z)}